For Singapore GST purposes, all GST-registered businesses are required to file their GST returns on time. The IRAS considers one month after the end of the prescribed accounting period a reasonable deadline and no extensions will be granted.
Nevertheless, IRAS has announced that it is prepared to grant an extension of time for newly registered businesses and for businesses which fall within the following list of acceptable reasons:
- Newly GST-registered businesses (1st GST return) – 1 month
- Fire disaster – 2 months (submission of the police report and the insurance claim is required)
- Breakdown of computer systems – 2 months (submission of the IT servicing report is required)
- Purchase of new accounting software and/or IT systems – 2 months (submission of the tax invoice is required)
- Key accounting personnel on medical leave of more than 1 week – 2 months (submission of medical/ hospitalization certificates is required).
Affected businesses should email IRAS at least 3 working days before the filing due date with the supporting documents (where applicable) to enable IRAS to have sufficient time to process the request for an extension of time to file their GST F5.