The Inland Revenue Authority of Singapore announced on 14 February 2018 that GST registration will have to be made electronically at myTaxPortal with effect from 1 October 2018. Paper applications will only be accepted for exceptional cases e.g. businesses not granted access to myTaxPortal.
The benefit of submitting the application for GST registration is the shortened processing time
- 2 working days for compulsory GST registration
- 10 working days for voluntary GST registration upon receipt of your completed GIRO form*.
Where it is inevitable that paper application for GST registration is to be submitted, the processing time will be as follows:
- 10 working days for compulsory GST registration
- 1 month for voluntary GST registration upon receipt of your completed GIRO form.
* The GIRO application form submitted will be sent to the applicant’s bank for approval. The approval process may take between 2 to 4 weeks. The IRAS will inform the applicant separately via letter if the bank rejects his application. Most banks will usually notify the applicants directly for GIRO applications accepted by them. IRAS will not send any letter for approved applications.